If you think you have been sexually assaulted, it may be hard to know what to do or how to feel. What happened was not your fault. What you do next is your choice. 
  • Are you in immediate danger? If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured you can call 999. 
  • Finding a safe space. If possible, try and find somewhere you feel safe. If this isn't possible and you are on campus, you can call Security on 01227 922355.  
  • SafeZone. You can also use the SafeZone app to immediately contact Security if you are on campus.  
  • If you are not in immediate danger, you can speak to your GP/healthcare professional or call the police non-emergency number 101, make an online police report or attend any local police station. 
  • To someone that you trust. Talking things through with someone you trust can sometimes help. 
  • Independent specialist support. The Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC) Beech House and East Kent Rape Crisis Centre both have Independent Sexual Violence Advisors (ISVAs) who are trained to look after the needs of a survivor of rape or sexual violence, to ensure that they receive the best possible care and understanding. Contact them and ask to speak to an advisor in confidence. ISVAs are there to provide information to ensure an individual can make a decision that is right for them. 
  • Make a Report + Support submission. We are here to help you make an informed decision that you are in control of. Students and staff can make a Report  + Support submission to the University’s Report + Support system. If you choose to talk to an advisor, they will be able to talk through the options and support available to you, in confidence. Below are some reporting options that   we can support you to access, should you choose to. 
  • Reporting to the police. If you're thinking of reporting to the police, Rape Crisis have produced a useful list of things to think about. Reporting to the police | Rape Crisis England & Wales
  • If you don’t want to report to the police right now, or you want time to think about this, you can also go to a Sexual Assault Referral Centre(SARC) without talking to the police first. At a SARC,  forensic evidence that is captured can be stored for up to two years, giving you the time to consider your options.  If you do choose to report to the police in the future, they will be able to use this evidence. 
  • Reporting the incident anonymously. You can call Crime Stoppers at any point on 0800 555 111 or use their online form. 
  • University Procedure. If you choose to make a formal complaint to the University against a student or a member of staff there are procedures that set out the steps you’ll need to follow 


There are two ways you can tell us what happened