If you think you or someone you know has been bullied or harassed there is a variety of support options available to both students and staff.  

For students  

Student Support and Wellbeing Advisers. The Advisers support students in making informed decisions through one-to-one conversations, be it related to personal, general wellbeing, financial, housing, or academic matters. The Wellbeing Advisers can be a triage service to other more specialist areas within the Student Support, Health and Wellbeing Department, including  Mental Wellbeing and  Disability Services . If we cannot help, we can link in with the other departments within the University who can, and any external services and resources, where possible.

Mental Wellbeing Team Mental Health Practitioners can help with general mental health-related queries and emotional distress.  They have a range of services they can offer including self-help resources and techniques to help with anxiety, stress and depression.  They can also refer individuals for counselling both within the University and externally.

Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Team provide advice, support and guidance on equality, diversity and inclusion related issues to students, academic advisors and other staff in student-supporting roles. 

Mediation Service - The University's Mediation Service offers an alternative dispute resolution approach; it is confidential and can help resolve a disagreement or conflict. 

Disability Advisory Support Service - The University’s dedicated Disability Advisers can provided advice, guidance, and support to staff and students about a range of practical adjustments to your work or studies. 

Your School - If you are a student you can talk to your Personal Academic Tutor, or a Programme Support Officer in your faculty. 

Extenuating Circumstances. If you feel your studies have been affected by what has happened you can consider applying for mitigating circumstances. An advisor in your school will be able to provide more information. 

For staff 

The University has a range of policies, guidance and services to support you at work. Find out more here.

Local Human Resource Contacts. If you are a member of staff, or manager, your HR partner will be able to identify the support that’s available for you. 

Trade Unions. There are three trade unions that represent staff at the University - Unison, Unite and UCU. 

Employee Network Groups. The University has a number of employee network groups. They are a fantastic way to network with people from all over the University, build contacts, share experiences, arrange events and socialise. 

Other sources of support 

Citizens Advice provides some information on bullying and harassment. 

Family Lives provides some information and advice on bullying at University.  

The National Union of Students (NUS) has put together some top tips on how to deal with bullying in halls. 

Young Minds has put together a blog on how to deal with bullying at University. 


There are two ways you can tell us what happened