If you would like hear from a member of our friendly Student Wellbeing Service about what happens when you choose to speak to an advisor, please listen to the below:

When you make a Report+Support submission through the “speak to an advisor” form, you will be providing us with your details so we can reach out to co-ordinate support alongside you. We know that writing down your experience can sometimes be difficult, if you would like to talk through making your Report + Support submission you can click the “Talk to us” button at the top of this page.  

When you provide information we can follow up on, you will always decide what happens next and your submission does not constitute making a formal report, we are here to listen, clearly provide you with information to support you in making an informed decision about your next steps. 

Support we can coordinate may include: 
  • Supporting you to access your course and protect your education
  • Access to friendly, informal advice and wellbeing support
  • Mental health support including counselling
  • Supporting you in conversations with your accommodation provider to make sure you feel safe where you live
  • Supporting you to make a police report or an internal formal misconduct report if you would like to, the Student Procedures team can guide you through this process if your report can be taken further
  • Referring and/or signposting you to specialist external agencies who can provide appropriate support 

If you feel you or anyone else is in immediate danger or are feeling threatened call the Police on 999.

For more information on making a Report + Support submission please see the pages below:

Using Report + Support - Report + Support - Canterbury Christ Church University



There are two ways you can tell us what happened