Hate crimes hurt individuals and communities and reporting them allows the University and the police to better understand and deal with what is happening.  

Hate incidents and hate crime are acts of violence or hostility against a person or property that is motivated by hostility or prejudice towards a person due to a particular characteristic. This could be a disability, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation, transgender identity or an alternative sub-culture hate crime. A victim does not have to be a member of the group at which the hostility is targeted, anyone could be a victim of a hate crime. 

Hate incidents and crimes include bullying, harassment and sexual harassment which are contrary to the Equality Act 2010, the Student Code of Conduct, and the University Dignity at Work Policy. Find out more about bullying and harassment and sexual harassment. 

  • Are you in immediate danger? If you are in immediate danger, or seriously injured, you can call 999 (or 112 from a mobile). 
  • Finding a safe space. If possible try and find somewhere you feel safe. If this isn't possible and you are on campus you can call Security on 01227 922355.  
  • Safe Zone. You can also use the Safe Zone app to immediately contact Security, if you are on campus.  
  • What is sexual assault? You can read more about what sexual assault is. 
  • What is a hate crime? It might be useful to think about what hate crime is and how some of the behaviours are described.  
  • To a friend. Talking things through with someone you trust can sometimes help.  
  • Student Support and Wellbeing Advisers. The Advisers support students in making informed decisions, through one-to-one conversations, be it related to personal, general wellbeing, financial, housing, or academic matters. The Wellbeing Advisers can be a triage service to other more specialist areas within the Student Support, Health and Wellbeing Department, including Mental Wellbeing and Disability Services. If we cannot help, we can link in with the other departments within the University who can, and any external services and resources, where possible. 
  • Reporting to the police. If you're thinking of reporting to the police you can report a hate crime online. 
  • Reporting the incident anonymously. You can contact Crime Stoppers on 0800 555 111 or use their online form. 
  • Report and Support. Students and staff can report an incident using the University’s Report and Support system. You can choose to do this anonymously, or you can request support from an advisor. If you choose to talk to an advisor they will be able to talk through the options and support available to you, in confidence. 
  • University Procedure. If you choose to make a formal complaint to the University against a student or a member of staff there are procedures that set out the steps you’ll need to follow.
  •  Victim Support
    Victim Support (VS) is an independent charity dedicated to supporting victims of crime and traumatic incidents.
  •  SupportLine
    SupportLine provides a confidential telephone helpline, offering emotional support to any individual on any issue. 
    www.supportline.org.uk Call: 01708 765200
  •  Citizens Advice
    Can give advice on what you can do if you are being harassed. 
  •  Samaritans
    Offer listening and support to people and communities in times of need. 
    www.samaritans.org  Call: 116 123 


There are two ways you can tell us what happened