If you are studying, working or visiting the campus at Canterbury Christ Church University and feel that you are being treated less favourably because of who you are, you can access support to make a complaint. 

Our commitment to Equity and Inclusion is written as below: 

To advance Equality, Diversity and Inclusion outcomes and representation and redress inequity, discrimination, progression and attainment imbalances for our staff and students.

If you have been indirectly or directly impacted by discrimination you may feel frustrated, upset or angry. Discrimination will always relate to one of the below protected characteristics: 

  • Age
  • Gender reassignment
  • Being married or in a civil partnership
  • Being pregnant or on maternity leave
  • Disability
  • Race, including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin
  • Religion or belief
  • Sex
  • Sexual orientation
Discrimination is unacceptable and challenging this behaviour helps us to deal swiftly with malpractice. We will be able to provide information and guidance, and help you decide what to do next whilst being there alongside you to provide support.  

Citizen Advice has useful guidance on deciding what action to take about discrimination. This can be helpful to read through to make sure you are recording incidents thoroughly and accessing suitable evidence. 

You can also find out more about how you are protected from discrimination in the Equality Act 2010.
You can visit Canterbury Christ Church University’s Equity and Inclusion webpages for more information on work taking place at the university as well finding connections with supportive Equality Networks. 

Reporting discrimination

  • Report + Support.  You can choose to submit anonymously, or you can request support from an advisor. If you choose to speak to an advisor they will be able to provide you with information to support you in make an informed decision about your next steps.
Next steps may include: 

o   Access to support at university
o   Support to make a formal complaint or misconduct report to the Student Procedures Team
o   Support you to make a formal complaint or misconduct report to the Human Resources Team
o   Support to report to external agencies

  • University Procedure. If you choose to make a formal complaint to the University against a student or a member of staff there are procedures that set out the steps you’ll need to follow.

If you experience violence, assault, verbal abuse, bullying or harassment due to who you are, this will be considered a hate incident or hate crime. Find out more about hate crime through Report + Support to access support to report incidents of hate. 


There are two ways you can tell us what happened